Sunday, June 12, 2011

For the Love of Sugar...

How would you react if the doctor will tell you "you are diabetic?" and that you are to be treated the soonest possible time?

I had that conversation with a doctor some days ago.  I never thought I'll  have that conversation ever.  It never occurred to me, no, not even once.  I thought I am living as "healthily" as I could.  I mean, I don't feel anything and i thought everything's normal in my life.

So it came like a shock.  What???  Are we sure?  But the lab test won't lie and I had my blood tested thrice just to be sure.  Who knows, it might be someone else' blood!  It can happen.  Samples are exchanged sometimes and you end up on someone else' lab results.  Just like in the movies.  But this is the real life:  I have it and somehow I have to come to terms with myself regarding this sickness.  Which is the hardest part...

I was like floating in midair that day.  Wow.  Diabetes.  Type 2.  I never heard much of the doctor's words as she was telling what to do...that's why when i get home, I really don't know what to do!  Nonetheless,  I bought the prescription and had lots of soul searching.  I decided to "fight" this illness.  I have to be armed!  This is where the internet get's useful...so the next days were spent researching about the illness.

I started my WAR against diabetes by changing what I eat.  No more sugar and lots of veges!  Less carbo too!    It was hard during the first 3 days.  But the days after that, I think I already have adjusted. And I shed off a lot of weight in the process.  Good for me!  I got tired of this excess pounds anyway!

With this whole experience I realized that it's not too late to start on something.  Like starting to change our diet.  One can be old and yet one can start on something new in life.  A project maybe, a new skill to acquire, a new business that you've been dreamin' of, a course to take, anything...

I also realized that there are things in life when demanded, can be easily given up!  In my case, sugar and all the food that has lots of it.  The other day some friends and I were hanging out and they wanted to have ice cream!  They were worried I would be tempted!  But then again I have resolved not to eat "sugary" food again. They had their ice cream and I had my lemon juice.  Just like that.  Nice.   

Hah...I know there will be lots of time I would be tempted.  It will come. I know am still at the beginning of this war.  But then again, I know the Lord will help me win this battle.  As always.  So why do I have to worry?  If the Lord is with me, who can be against me as Paul says.  No in all these things i am more than a conqueror.  Not death nor life, nor demons, nor angels, nor famine or darkness or sword, or nakedness or in my case, diabetes, can be able to separate me from His love!   

No comments:

Post a Comment